Every now and then, I had enquires from customers on whether we sell second hand mattress. Initially I did not bother so much as there were only a handful of people who asked us the question. Then, it dawned unto me that there may be more people who are actually considering buying a 2nd hand mattress, and that thought caused a little shiver down my spine.
Here are 5 reason’s why you should never even think of purchasing a used mattress.
1) Firstly, Think about all that goes on in a bedroom. Everynight, the previous owner will excrete bodily fluid and and dead skin cells on the mattress. These disgusting things gets deposited into the mattress. And bear in mind, bacteria thrives on these organic deposits. Do you really want to sleep on someone else’s body fluids especially their sweat? Also you don’t know whether the mattress belonged to a person who had a contagious disease.
2) When you buy secondhand you are also buying the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergen. Allergens are not good for anyone who suffers from asthma or allergies. These Allergens can cause serious issues with your allergies and especially asthma. They can aggravate your problem. I repeat, allergens are a very serious problem.
3) The risk of bedbugs. Sometimes they are not visible to the naked eye as they hide inside the mattress. Bedbugs are tiny parasites that feed off of dead skin on your body. Bedbugs are so digusting that if you got them, you would propbably burn the mattress. You could refer to this article to find out more Bed Bugs- Preventions And Remedies
4) It will not provide the support that you may be looking for. Used mattresses are well worn and already conformed to the original user’s body contours of its initial users. So it will be very difficult for you to get comfortable. This is especially true for someone who suffers from lower back pain.
5) Cost – This is the most ironic reason. Why do someone actually considers buying a secong hand mattress? To save money right? This is where it becomes illogical.
A Queen size second hand mattress may cost $100, you add in the transportation charges $50 and it adds up to $150.
Do you know that you can actually purchase a brand new, highly rated queen size spring mattress for $150? Yes, same price as a 2nd hand mattress. See this Wasaly Luxury Mattress.